Asquith Public School has created an environment to support the establishment of healthy eating habits for students, teachers and staff. Specifically, eating more fruit and vegetables and increasing water intake, at approximately 10am each day. Crunch&Sip® is a small healthy snack that can be consumed within 10 minutes please ensure the healthy snack is small and for younger students cut into bite sized pieces.
The objectives of the Crunch&Sip® break are to:
- Increase awareness of the importance of eating fruit or vegetables and drinking water every day
- Enable students, teachers and staff to eat fruit or vegetables during an allocated Crunch&Sip® break in the classroom
- Encourage students, teachers and staff to drink water throughout the day in the classroom, during break times and at sports, excursions and camps
- Encourage parents to provide students with fruit or vegetables every day
- Develop strategies to help students who don’t have regular access to fruit and vegetables
In the classroom teachers will:
Encourage students daily to eat a piece of fruit or vegetable in the classroom during the designated Crunch&Sip® break
Encourage students to drink a bottle of water in the classroom throughout the day.
In the classroom students will:
Bring fruit or vegetables to school each day to eat at the break
Bring their water bottle to school to drink from throughout the day.
FRUIT, VEGETABLES AND WATER GUIDELINES
All fresh fruit is permitted (e.g. whole fruits, chopped melon)
Fruit canned in water, juice or no added sugar is permitted (e.g. peach slices)
Fruit canned with artificial sweeteners added is not permitted. Artificial sweeteners are not recommended for children.
Dried fruit is permitted, although, fresh fruit or vegetables is the first choice because dried fruit contains high concentrations of natural sugar and it tends to cling to teeth, increasing risk of tooth decay (e.g. sultanas).
All fresh vegetables are permitted (e.g. celery, carrot sticks, broccoli bits, etc.)
Only plain water is to be consumed in the classroom.
Foods not permitted at the designated Crunch&Sip® break
All other foods (see permitted food and drink at the designated Crunch&Sip® break)
All other drinks (including waters with added vitamins, minerals, or carbonates) are not permitted including:
Fruit juice or fruit juice drink
Fruit cordial or mineral waters